Friday, November 6, 2015

My Projects and my Duplicate Teams (I use for my playing leagues)

The Strat-O-Matic Projects I like are mostly 1960s, 1970s and the oldtimers.

I am not a replayer - I know many gamers love these but I don't want to replay an exact season that has already been played and we already know the results.  I have no interest in playing second division or last place teams that are parts of a replay project. What I do like is seeing how great teams do against other great teams. (I also do not like leagues with players drafted from scratch). I also sometimes get invited to join leagues or other gamers projects, I don't have enough time to play my own projects. And I prefer for example, basic Strat-O-Matic vs advanced, super advanced or computer. I don't like SA at all and the SA symbols clutter the Advanced game making that unplayable. Plus the small sample sizes, particularly RH batters vs LH pitchers are just too small for me.

Other projects may be stock teams with draft choices, even from different eras. For example, the #1 player I would add to the 1927 Yankees is 1980 George Brett.

I try to keep a set of duplicate set of the teams I use in my Strat-O-Matic leagues.

For 1960-1969 (36 teams) I generally go with 20 players per team  as I play basic only and prefer the original releases which for all years but 1969 had just 20 cards.

For 1970-1979 (36 teams) I prefer 24 players per team as that was how they were released.

Sometimes, during hard financial times, I need to find some money and will sell some or all of my duplicate teams, then replenish them as I can which I have done for a few months lately.

My current status:

1970-79, of the 36 teams, I have duplicates with 24 cards per team for 26 of the 36 teams. I have 4 teams with 20 cards (need the XP only) and of course, that leaves just 6 teams that I don't have. I am fairly confident I can obtain these soon.

1960-69 is a little easier because I can use oldtimers for 9 of the 36 teams (and I have an abundant collection of the cut card oldtimer teams), I can use past season teams for 20 of the 36 teams and I have a duplicate 1960 Yankees recreated team, so that is 30 of the 36 needed teams.

I do have duplicates of the 1964 Orioles, 1965 Reds, 1966 Giants and 1967 Tigers and Twins, leaving me with just the 1964 Angels as my sole need for 1960-69 (although I am also in a quest for 6 original 1968 teams for a different project).   However, obtaining this has been harder to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment